Sunday, July 28, 2013

Future Marathons

I ran a second Marathon in April, the OKC Memorial Marathon. I beat my time on the Rt 66 by a good 15 minutes. It was much easier mentally, I knew what to expect, when to conserve, and where to push.  Plus the course was just plain easier.  There wasn't the last 6 miles of nothing but hills. 

It took me a long time to recover from the race. It ended up taking me a long time to recover from the Snake Run.  I have tendons that are shorter than average in my feet, and it just takes a lot longer to become a normal human being. My husband, always supportive of my decisions, suggested ever so sweetly I take a break from the long races, and I agree with him.  I told him I wouldn't do any more for a year, and I am holding up my end of that bargain. 

We discussed it, and settled on a break until the fall of 2014, where I would train for the Dopey Challenge. It takes place in January 2015, and it is a 5k Thursday, 10k Friday, Half Marathon Saturday, and Full Marathon Sunday.  I am challenged and excited by the idea.

This does not mean I am not running all together. It just means I am spending time focusing on other things. I am more active in my church, and able to really get involved in the Nightmare, Brunch, and GK Jam, instead of hobbling in at the last minute on sore feet.  I also spent some time training a dear friend of mine on how to run. The other day in talking she casually said at the start of her workout she ran a mile, and that was no big deal. Boy did that make my heart sing! 

The next race coming up is Tough Mudder with my Becker Boo.  I am not adequately trained for it, and neither is she. But we will have a great time, walk when we need to, and bond over a great day together.

No comments:

Post a Comment