Monday, March 18, 2013

Snake Run- 6 hour trail race

Yesterday was the six hour trail race. I found out about this race in 2011, when I was still fat and working my way through C25K. I knew I wanted to do it, but it sounded impossible. I put it on my bucket list (alongside running at the South Pole) and didn't really think at that time the race would be possible.

Fast forward a year and a half and I ran it yesterday! Last fall I did quite a bit of trail running, but this year with my new job, and time schedules; I can never make it out to the local "mountain" to run with my running group. I hoodwinked a few friends to go with me a handful of times, but they all claimed it was too hard. (they called me Jillian the whole time we were out there) And I will never run out there alone because I have seen a few bums out there before, a few drug addicts, and while 99% of the people are normal runners/bikers, I have watched too many Criminal Minds episodes to feel comfortable by myself. When you are out there, you are completely alone.

So determined, and with zero recent trail running experience this season, i set out on not the easier 3 hour race, but the full out 6 hour race.

This is how my time went,

1st loop- awesome! i could do this all day!

2nd loop.....well okay, we got this, we can do this.

3rd loop.... i hate hills. hills are dumb. why did I decide to do this? I should quit, I have ran the required miles needed to get my medal. I could leave now and there's no shame.

fourth loop- NO YOU ARE DOING THIS MISSY. YOU CAME OUT HERE FOR SIX HOURS AND YOU ARE STAYING FOR SIX HOURS.

fifth loop- are my feet still attached??? I cant feel my feet! my legs hurt. There was quite a bit of weaving involved, pretty hilarious.

last half mile- oh girl, why did you ever think you couldn't do this? YOU ARE SO AWESOME!

So I finished the race, stretched, and hobbled out to my car. My right leg is pretty worse for the wear today, but I do not have that overwhelming body of death feeling that I had after the marathon in November. I am proud of myself for not giving up, and for completing the 21 miles. (the overall male winner did 39 miles THIRTY NINE. I will need some practice before next year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment