Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Polar Bear the 2nd Time Around

Once again this year I did the Polar Bear Plunge. What makes a person want to do the Plunge twice you ask? Mostly out of complete insanity and because after bragging about doing it for 365 days you have to prove to everyone you can do it again. (Also the medal was larger)

This time I ran with a group of 9 fantastic women I have met over the last year. The husband told me that no amount of me asking would get him to run it again. (Pansy) So the 9 of us ran it together. The course was slightly different. They skipped the Arkansas River dip, did the stairs first, then the quaking dock that was a ton of fun, and then on to the three pools.

This year I had the distinct advantage of volunteering beforehand. I set about the task of throwing medals into the bottom of the pool. I then strategically placed some medals, right by the stairs to get out of the pool. So that way when I jumped in, I wouldn't have to dive and flounder around trying to get one, I could just grab one and get out of the pool.

This year for the pools, I took a running leap to land about the middle, and then immediately went to the sides to arm walk along the edges to the front. This eliminated my whole having to swim problem. ( I can swim in order to not drown, but I really stink at it) I got my bigger shinier medal, took some fantastic photos, and ended up this year changing clothes in my car. The whole process was so much smoother, and next year I know I will be running it again!! It's officially become a tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment